Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Boyle So Perfect

So today I finally bit the bullet and watched the video of Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent the British version of American Idol. I don't watch Idol nor do I keep up with the British version, but the press has made such a fuss over this woman that I had to watch it.

And so I did.

I cried like a baby.

Here is this 47 year old woman, who has never been kissed, and she belts out a beautiful rendition of I Dreamed a Dream from the musical Les Miserables . The woman who "shut up Simon Cowell" seems completely genuine and quite adorable.

So why is one of the questions that Diane Sawyer asks her in an interview whether or not she will get a makeover?

I mean if she wants to...that's fine. But why is it that the media is so superficial?

Oh that's right...

Because we allow them to be.

If anyone wants to know why America's teenagers, young adults, and the economy is going to hell in a hand basket just take a look in the mirror folks. We have gotten out of the habit of appreciating the best things in life. Instead of listening to music about 'bitches and hos' (which I do like, but not all the time) from men and women dressed like sparkly disco balls maybe we should start appreciating a beautiful opera from a beautifully normal human being.

Miss Boyle, please don't change for us. Let us change for you.

No comments: