Friday, April 17, 2009

Olive Oyl...I think not

...I think grease.

Sweet delicious grease.

Ladies and gentleman I just have to say, "I LOVE that chicken from Popeye's"!

While the Popeye's chicken may not be considered "pop culture" fried chicken certainly is.

"Pop-corn Culture" even (lame I know).

Southern fried chicken has definitely become a part of pop culture, however. I have it on good authority (my source will remain anonymous) that a former American Idol winner (also anonymous) ordered nothing but fried chicken for himself and his cast before a musical.

Seriously.

Just chicken.

I am so glad because I love it. I really do. I gave it up for Lent last year and dropped 20 pounds. The sad thing is though that southern fried chicken now has a racial stigma attached to it.

I heard a lot of jokes after President Obama was elected about everyone getting the "Presidential Special" down at their local Popeye's (sorry KFC lovers. You aren't considered in this at all. I can respect you for loving chicken as much as myself, but ... no thanks).

As a result of these jokes, I also heard a lot of "That's racist and it's not funny."

Well of course it isn't funny. It's sad that a food as heavenly as fried chicken has a racial stigma. I mean when you think about it...shouldn't other races or ethnicities be somewhat jealous?

Fried Chicken is heaven.

And yet, when I once mentioned how much I loved fried chicken in front of a group of people, I was treated as if I were telling a racist joke. I was a bit astonished. It's just chicken isn't it? Had I told them about the American Idol contestant I could have had a fight on my hands.

I am of the impression that when food becomes associated with forms of racism or racist behavior you have a problem.

I discussed this very topic in one of my classes today. We watched an episode of The Office, in which Michael does not understand why he can't tell a joke the same way Chris Rock does.

It was an interesting take on reverse racism. In a sense claiming that he is racist for repeating a joke (he does go over the top later on, but that is a part of the comedic effect) is in itself a racist act.

The fact of the matter is that racial sensitivity should be easier than we (Americans) make it out to be. Can we not simply acknowledge the facts of the past, and rather incorporate the lessons learned into every day life?

I realize solving great problems like these are not nearly this cut-and-dried, and that they will likely never be solved completely.

I snuck off a few days ago to get a snack...and started to feel like I was being judged by a few of the customers in my local Popeye's.

Today I realized what the problem was.

I get it.

Picture : (http://www.cardinalsw.com/Images/popeyes-family.jpg)

No comments: